May 1 - September 1, 2013
image by Scott Sukel
Self-guided tours are offered Monday - Sunday from 11am to 4pm and allow guests to independently tour the entire facility at their own pace. Self-guided Tours are a great option for those who may require handicap accommodations as a customized tour of the ground level can be arranged. For an ultimate experience, ask the Welcome Desk about our unique Audio Tour, so you can learn-as-you-go!
There are (4) Guided Tours to Choose from on Saturdays and Sundays. You may take more than one guided tour if you like.
Hollywood Tour | 11:00 12:30 2:00 3:30
See the office of the Prison Warden from Shawshank Redemption, the Parole Board Room and Andy Dufresne's escape tunnel. Hazard a trip into the sinister "hole." View the 1886 West Cell Block used as a Russian prison in Air Force One. This tour also involves extensive stair-climbing.
West Tower Tour | 11:30 1:00 2:30 4:00
Experience the view from the Guard Tower after winding up the spiral staircase. From this perspective, you will see the cemetery in which inmates were buried with only their assigned number on the grave. This tour also stops at the Big Dig, where you can observe the underground tunnel system. There is extensive stair-climbing on this tour. Taking pictures from the wall or Guard Tower portion of this tour is NOT PERMITTED.
East Cell Block Tour | 12:00 1:30 3:00
Travel the length of the East Cell Block, the world's largest freestanding steel cell block. On this tour, you will also pay a visit to the Catholic Chapel above the Central Guard Room. Get an insight into the living quarters as you venture on through multiple floors. This tour involves extensive stair-climbing.
Behind the Scenes Tour | 11:00 1:00 3:00
Venture behind the scenes as your guide gives you access to areas not open to the general public. View the West Attic and hear stories of inmate punishment. See "The Yard" where Andy and Red would sit and talk. Delve into the sub-basement and the inner workings of the Ohio State Reformatory
Self-Guided...Adults $9 Youth, Seniors, College ID, and Military ... $7
Audio Wand...$5 additional per wand
Guided Tour...$5 additional per person, per tour.
Large, private Group Tours can be arranged for groups of 20 or more. Private Group Tours are scheduled Monday-Friday only.
While you're here...
All guests are invited to visit our gift shop and museum where they can view a replica of the Electric Chair.
Tax deductible contributions to the MRPS a 501(C)(3) not for profit organization are needed.
Memberships are also available for as little as $10.00 a year.
- Information: please call (419) 522-2644 for up to the minute tour information.
- Size: We ask that parties of 20 or more contact Mary at firstname.lastname@example.org in advance to schedule a group tour. Group tours are discouraged for Saturday and Sundays, however accommodations may be made, based on availability, for a tour at either 10am or 4pm on a Sunday.
- The image of the Historic Ohio State Reformatory is copyrighted. Any photography or video images captured during your visit are for PERSONAL USE ONLY! Any use of this footage without written permission from the Director's office will result in legal action.
- Camera use of any sort involving the north side of the building, specifically photos or video images of the working facility directly behind the Historic Ohio State Reformatory WILL NOT be tolerated. Failure to comply with the above terms can result in legal action and the confiscation of any and all equipment which may be suspect. Any parties in violation of this rule will be escorted off of the grounds immediately.
- This building contains hazards, including steep steps, uneven surfaces, and lead-based paint; therefore, the following rules are recommended for your protection:
- Children less than seven are discouraged from attending the tour due to environmental concerns
- Pregnant women should use extra caution inside building.
- No consumption of food or drink inside the building.
- Hands should be washed upon exit from the building.
- Proper foot wear is necessary for arduous stair climbing.
- Those persons entering the building, for themselves and their accompanied minor children, agree to hold harmless and indemnify the Mansfield Reformatory Preservation Society, Inc., its Officers, Trustees, and Agents from and against all liability claims whatsoever in any way related to the building, and whether arising as a result of negligence or otherwise.