May 1 - September 1 , 2013.
There are (4) Guided Tours to Choose from on Saturdays and Sundays.
You may take more than one guided tour if you like.
Hollywood Tour | 11:00 12:30 2:00 3:30
See the office of the Prison Warden from Shawshank Redemption, the Parole Board Room and Andy Dufresne's escape tunnel. Hazard a trip into the sinister "hole." View the 1886 West Cell Block used as a Russian prison in Air Force One. This tour also involves extensive stair-climbing.
West Tower Tour | 11:30 1:00 2:30 4:00
Experience the view from the Guard Tower after winding up the spiral staircase. From this perspective, you will see the cemetery in which inmates were buried with only their assigned number on the grave. This tour also stops at the Big Dig, where you can observe the underground tunnel system. There is extensive stair-climbing on this tour. Taking pictures from the wall or Guard Tower portion of this tour is NOT PERMITTED.
East Cell Block Tour | 12:00 1:30 3:00
Travel the length of the East Cell Block, the world's largest freestanding steel cell block. On this tour, you will also pay a visit to the Catholic Chapel above the Central Guard Room. Get an insight into the living quarters as you venture on through multiple floors. This tour involves extensive stair-climbing.
Behind the Scenes Tour | 11:00 1:00 3:00
Venture behind the scenes as your guide gives you access to areas not open to the general public. View the West Attic and hear stories of inmate punishment. See "The Yard" where Andy and Red would sit and talk. Delve into the sub-basement and the inner workings of the Ohio State Reformatory
Guided Tours are $5 per person, per tour in addition to the standard tour rate of $9 for adults and $7 for youth, seniors, college students, and military.
We ask that parties of 20 or more call in at least a week in advance to schedule a group tour. No group tours can be accommodated on Saturday and Sunday. Tickets may be purchased at the door. No advance tickets available.
- The image of the Historic Ohio State Reformatory is copyrighted. Any photography or video images captured during your visit are for PERSONAL USE ONLY! Any use of this footage without written permission from the Director's office will result in legal action.
- Camera use of any sort involving the north side of the building, specifically photos or video images of the working facility directly behind the Historic Ohio State Reformatory WILL NOT be tolerated. Failure to comply with the above terms can result in legal action and the confiscation of any and all equipment which may be suspect. Any parties in violation of this rule will be escorted off of the grounds immediately.
- This building contains hazards, including steep steps, uneven surfaces, and lead-based paint; therefore, the following rules are recommended for your protection:
- Children less than seven are discouraged from attending the tour due to environmental concerns
- Pregnant women should use extra caution inside building.
- No consumption of food or drink inside the building.
- Hands should be washed upon exit from the building.
- Proper foot wear is necessary for arduous stair climbing.
- Those persons entering the building, for themselves and their accompanied minor children, agree to hold harmless and indemnify the Mansfield Reformatory Preservation Society, Inc., its Officers, Trustees, and Agents from and against all liability claims whatsoever in any way related to the building, and whether arising as a result of negligence or otherwise.
While you're here...
All guests are invited to visit our gift shop and also our museum where they can view a replica of the Electric Chair.